Friday, September 10, 2010

The beginning


After I bought my first chanteh, over a decade ago, I developed a passion for small South Persian bags. I've tried, since I started to collect them, to steer a course between 'quality' and comprehensiveness, so the pieces you will see here are sometimes beautiful, occasionally rare, and more often representative of a particular style or motif. Most of them, I believe, embody something special, interesting, or unusual, and almost all are intimate and personal.


There is very little written on chanteh, and as far as I'm aware there is only one book devoted to them. This is 'Jayran - Tribal Woman and the Chanteh in Iran' by Parviz Homayounpour, which is now one of the most consulted books in my small rug library. I have learned much by studying its photographs, and I wholeheartedly recommend it.